Three-day Ga. hurricane exercise ends | News
ATLANTA (AP) - Georgia emergency planners have finished a three-day statewide hurricane exercise.
The HURREX 2012 exercise ended on Thursday. It involved more than 800 people from local, state, volunteer and federal agencies who responded to a simulated Category 3 hurricane that landed south of Savannah.
The simulated storm caused catastrophic damage to buildings along the coast and spawned a tornado in metro Atlanta.
Emergency planners divided the exercise into three different phases: Pre-landfall, post-landfall and recovery. The workers used data and information support sources in scenarios ranging from evacuation to sheltering to search and rescue situations.
Upcoming Events near Smyrna/Vinings
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Every player wins with All About Developmental Disabilities Bocce Ball League
- Holy Innocents' senior named Ga. Spanish Student of the Year
- Beloved Atlanta Artist Honored in Ventulett Gallery Exhibit
- Andee's Army 5K helps kids with non-traumatic brain injuries
- Holy Innocents' players named Basketball All-Stars